Wednesday 12 September 2012

Rhino Ugh Again!

I tested positive for Rhinovirus again. The Common Cold. The doctor on rounds said if I was in remission he'd send me home and tell me to come back in a week but that we don't have that luxury. He went out and discussed this with Dr. Giralt on the phone and came back and said they will give me a bag of gammaglobulin, human antibodies, and see if that helps me fight the Rhinovirus. So they are watching me for 48 hours and the transplant is postponed now, by at least two days.  They may or may not switch around the donor dates, so I may end up getting frozen (Trader Joe's) cells after all. He said 5% of patients get frozen cells and it's fine. And 100% of autologous transplant patients get frozen cells (that's where you get your own cells). I just figure, whatever they say is fine with me. I don't want extra risk involved in the transplant. And neither do they.  This is truly one day at a time. I'm not sure when I'm supposed to get any sleep here. They come in all night long. And all day long. Can't sleep deprivation lead to insanity? Does anyone else ever feel like their lives are StartStopStartStop? I do...

It seems everything is going fine at home. Isaac was too jet-lagged to go to school. That's OK. Ari's life is chock-full of playdates and Dora our new nanny seems to be working out. Thanks to Amal for holding it all together there during the nanny transition and when Andy needs to travel. We'd be in sorry shape without her. She's gone to school meetings for me, bathed Ari for me, and constantly sends me emails about the kids and how they're doing. Even her kids check-in and hang around and make our home a much more fun place to be.  Sounds so fun, I want to be there! Well, of course I do...

I'm going to try not to get depressed or freak-out about this postponement. But already this is getting hard.  I've been here for less than 24 hours and already there's a Rhino in my way. 



No comments:

Post a Comment