Wednesday 12 September 2012

IVIG and Prune Danish


Immunoglobulin Heavy Chain Gamma Polypeptide (IVIG). This is what they've given me today to hopefully help fight this cold. And typically, just like me, I had a severe reaction to it, despite being pre-medicated with Benedryl and Tylenol. I thought I was spiking a fever already from an infection even though I hadn't even started chemo yet! But the nurse said that it could easily be a side effect from the IVIG. 

Then my head started to hurt like I thought it would pop off and the same pain started in my lower back. And as painful as that was, it was a relief because that's not a symptom of infection. So, the worse the pain got, the more relieved I was. It was totally weird. The nurse gave me more Benedryl, Hydrocortisone, and Morphine and everything started slowly to subside. I went from bored to drama in 60 seconds and then back again.


Now I'm back on the IVIG, but it's dripping much more slowly into me and I think I'm OK. Plus, I convinced the doctors to let me take zinc!  Usually, when I have a cold I take Vitamin C, B, D, Zinc, Garlic, Echinacea and Golden Seal. Doesn't everyone?  But Susanne suggested zinc as probably being the most effective of those and we found a study from 2011 in the medical journal Family Practice that described just that. I sent it to the doctors and they said "Go for it". As long as I don't mix in or introduce anything during chemo they seemed very open. The nurse was really impressed I got them to go "alternative".  I love them.


Although this transplant has shown already to be not without hitches, I am still elated to be here, in this hospital, waiting for this transplant. It has been the longest haul, for all of us. I think we're all on the edge of being burnt out. And it's important now for me to just keep the focus, keep strong, keep the faith and move forward. 

I found out today through the social worker here I have a reservation at the Hope Lodge for October 9th until December 31st.  I am very relieved and grateful for this and I think it will be a great experience to healing from a transplant while there are other people around doing the same thing. Either healing from transplant or something else cancer-y. So I have my sights set on my transplant date and my discharge date and finally getting a go-home-to-London date.

I know this is crazy, but we've done such a good job supporting the kids while I'm gone, my house is apparently like a funhouse!  Amal is a fantastic friend to me and Andy but also to the kids.  And Andy is good at planning fun stuff to do with the kids. It's all I want. I want them to do fun fun fun stuff so that time flies by.  And I need to focus the same way on myself. I need to download fun stuff, read fun stuff, be with friends when they can, and find good projects to do.  

I forgot the other day that I had downloaded "Prune Danish" by Jackie Mason. My songs were on shuffle and he popped up and I'm cracking up before I know it.  Like really laughing hard. I don't think you have to be Jewish to enjoy? I'm not sure...maybe you just have to know a few Jews really well.

I was sitting on the bed today and the Chaplin du Jour came in to see if I needed anything. He was a really tall, thin, handsome, African-American man in a neat suit with a really calming voice and good energy. We chatted a little and then I thought, why not? Ask him to say a prayer. So he did. He said a beautiful prayer all about focus and strength and healing for me and everyone. Really nice guy. 

When he left he gave me his card. He's an Imam. I never would have expected it. And it felt like the double triple right thing today as the US consulate in Libya was attacked.  People dedicated to creating peace lost their lives so this Imam's prayer goes out to them. It's a tough week for the US. I thought Hillary Clinton was eloquent in her short speech. You could see how hard she's been working and how what a disappointment this was for her.  I know she will move forward as she always has. Such a great role model for anyone, anywhere, who faces challenges. And I imagine that would be all of us. 

May the planet find balance and for everyone in it to find balance too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment