Tuesday 8 May 2012

Fierce Sun




When the sun comes out in London, it is something… 
It has really been raining a lot.  And all the English people are cheesed-off.  For me, I haven’t cared so much. I’ve had to be inside, and the rain has sort of been an expression of my mood.   Waiting for the sun to come out = waiting for my neutrophils to come up. And then I can have my biopsy and it can look A.OK., and everyone can stop worrying about me, including me. 

But lately, as I’ve been stealthily allowed to go out during the day, I’ve been nicely thrown back into the fray of normal society and the rain has started to bug me.  I feel bad for my kids, that our backyard is soggy and muddy and the trampoline is slippery and soaked.  It’s May for goodness sake. Throw us a bone here!  A couple of nice days would be greatly welcomed because  London’s a lovely town in the sun.

Today Alli and I wandered down Tottenham Court Road, the commercial street near the hospital, and ended up in a beautiful home store called Heal's.  They have garden and lounge furniture in their huge front windows that look out onto the sidewalk and passers-by.  

I saw a beautiful lawn chair that just beckoned to me. It was woven rattan in a wenge color with a lighter brown comfy Temper-pedic feeling cushion on it.  The chair was long and had many notches exacting your desired height for the back, and a cup holder... What else do you need?  

I said to Allison, as I lay down on the chair, “This is my goal: to be post-transplant, at home, in my backyard, laying on a comfy lounger.”  Then we both noticed the sun came out and was shining on us. People walking by were as charmed with us having become part of the window display as we were content just to sit there, in the sun, watching them go by.



No comments:

Post a Comment