Tuesday 31 July 2012

Poignance

Each time I take my circular exercise walks around the halls of all the different hospitals I've been in, I take my music with me. Tonight, the first songs that came on were love songs. "You Got the Love" by Florence and the Machine, and then "Nothing's Real but Love", by Rebecca Ferguson.  

Sometimes I can't help peaking in on the rooms that have their doors ajar, or door shades open. Tonight, with tears in my eyes, I saw so much of that love. Caretakers, family, lovers, friends, sitting next to their loved ones. Wearing masks to protect them.  Tucking blankets around their chilly feet, redirecting vaporizers (this is mostly a lung floor), brushing back stray hairs. They'd take encouraging gentle walks pushing wheeled poles laden with saline, chemo, anti-fungals, anti-virals. 


I know everyone thinks it's harder for the person who is sick. And I'm sure it's true in most ways. But this poignant marriage of worry and love is palpable in all the people who live through and support the paths of those close to them who are ill. 

If you're sick, your only job is to get better, (that's what people tell you and want you to do).  But caretakers here kiss their spouses, partners, friends, lovers, mommies, daddies, goodnight and then go home and sleep alone. Or they go home to be both mommy and daddy to their kids, trying to make them laugh and feel safe. They do all the bills, eat what they can, cry when they can, make sense of suffering, and try like hell to take care of themselves so they can be everything to everybody while their loved one heals, or not. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dina the Brave! That's what my friends and I call you. Your cousins Nancy and Suzie Rukeyser want to come by and visit you if you would like... Can you provide your address (is it in Valhalla? White Plains? I dont know how many campuses MSK has now if more than Valhalla)
    If you like do you have a room phone I can give them?

    Do you remember my Andi Feinberg from Scarsdale? She highly recommended an energy worker from Connecticut. Before I call them back I wanted to know if you were open to a free of charge treatment with her. Andi suffered from a skin cancer for 12 years and she is now cancer-free.
    She hasn't stopped calling to set up a meeting for you this Friday.

    You are so loved, lifted up, admired and rooted-for during your ordeal here! Soak it ALL in cuz it is your time to shine and break free! Loving you always, Lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful, poignant, and oh-so-true entry, Dina. One thing this experience has not taken from you is your exquisite ability to express yourself. Thank you for keeping us in the loop and taking us on this journey with you.

    With LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of love...

    Karen

    ReplyDelete