Saturday 23 June 2012

Talk with Marty


I was so nervous. But then we get on the phone with him and I almost immediately felt better. It was Andy, Susanne, Amal and me on the phone with him. I had some questions written down, that were really mostly Susanne's questions.  Most of them were in response to our conversation with Panos. Here's what they were:
After speaking with Panos, I learned that using Azacitadine like we did is not licensed to be used in that way in the UK. It's only because my insurance approved it that I could do it. Thank you Cigna and Andy for that...

So, what else ties the hands of the doctors in England? I knew he couldn't answer a question like that, but the giant question is, "Am I better off in NY?"  "Do transplant protocols differ in the states?"  I think as amazing as the National Health System in the UK is, even if you're using private insurance, the doctors are constrained by guidelines. For example, as Panos would like to do a FLAMSA transplant with me, Marty seemed to want to tailor-make a protocol that would be the right one for me.  But he did not want to say anything until we spoke with his head transplanter, Dr. Sergio Giralt. We've planned another conference call for Wednesday and Dr. Giralt will join us. 

Now, the Chief transplanter at The Royal Free Hospital where Panos practices here in London is a man named Steve McKinnon whom Marty knows well and respects.  It's possible that if Steve could follow what protocol Sergio recommends, maybe I could stay in London.  

Marty said when international patients come to Sloan Kettering he likes them to stay for three months. I would do that of course, but that's a lot to think about for my family. We've been through it all and are super strong because of it, but still, that's tough on a family. I hate it when Andy travels for a week! Me gone for three months? Yikes!  

I know all my USA girls are thinking YES YES YES DO IT!!!  I know they'd take great care of me. And I'll bet Sloan Kettering is amazing. Tons of complementary therapies. New York is probably the Mecca of complementary therapies because everyone's so stressed out.

So, as it stands, Marty said to recover from this recent round of chemotherapy. Have another biopsy in two weeks. We'll speak with Sergio. And things will become more and more clear.

I am so grateful for this second chance. Things were so dicey there for a moment. I feel like God put his arms around me and said, "Um, I don't think so. You're staying here. You've got stuff to do and I've got your back".  What's that cute little kid prayer? "God is good, God is great. Yay God!" 

Happy Dreams. 
Dina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbzcdG5FK3c

P.S. Click on this link. It's the incredible song "Have a Talk With God" by Stevie Wonder.


No comments:

Post a Comment