Wednesday 27 June 2012

A Thick Plot

So, New York, it is. We were on the phone today with Sergio Giralt, the Chief transplanter at Memorial Sloan Kettering and despite the huge logistical gymnastics to make this happen, I think the right thing for me to do is go there.  It's the best cancer hospital in the world. I should be there. 

He suggests a transplant that they do not do in the UK and anecdotally it seems the outcomes are better for people like me. I also feel that Marty has been right every step of the way, and I'm sticking with him and doing everything he says. They are also very likable people, and that helps.  They are menschy;
Mensch (מענטש) a Yiddish word that means "a person of integrity." A mensch is someone who is responsible, has a sense of right and wrong and is the sort of person other people look up to. In English, the word has come to mean "a good guy." 

I will need to be in New York for close to four months.  After the transplant, they want me to stay nearby for the 100 days. So THIS is the 100 Days and Beyond...

I'm most concerned about Andy and the kids, of course. The visiting back and forth, and the worrying. I don't want them to worry, but it's a pretty big deal when your mom needs to go to a hospital in another country. We thought of maybe taking them there for four months, but Jeez, they just moved here! And they've got their daddy here, and their dog and friends and school, where so many incredibly nice people have got our backs. 

Honestly, I'm a little worried about me. My sweet little family is my fuel. And I'll likely only see them for a week each month. And I've leaned so hard on all my friends, for THREE YEARS!!! And now I feel like I need them more than EVER. To be with me in New York. While I get my new cells and heal. My magical and devoted friends. I love you. I am a lucky person. 

So today, I got a little scared at the prospect of really having a transplant. Scared but also excited. So glad. My donor has been contacted again and the only schedule restraints they have is the last week of August and the first week of September. 

Dr. Giralt wants to see me in NY on July 12th. It's such a head-spinner that I don't even know, do I go and stay, do I go and come back and go again to start treatment? So much to be ironed out. And when I'm done with treatment but still hanging around in NY, where will I stay?  What will I feel like? The plot is getting thick!

I think of NY as a place with lots of healers in it. It's such a stressful town, people have perfected the art of de-stressing, healing, relaxing as best they can. It's what they do when they're not working, shopping or going out to eat.

I have also always loved the "Let's Get It Done!" attitude in NY. I'll definitely be plugging into that energy...In the meantime, thank you so much for all your prayers. I feel them and see them working.
Much love,
Dina

1 comment:

  1. Dina- we're really thrilled you're coming to NY to get your life back for your real life! We will be here for you and I so look forward to connecting/re-connecting. Our peaceful home in the woods is yours anytime, and our giant puppy will make it so won't want to leave.
    Here's to the real 100 Days!
    Love,
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete