Tuesday 6 December 2011

Stll Waiting...

The Talking Heads song "Crosseyed and Painless" just popped into my head today.  Of course, I guess, because the refrain is: "Still Waiting".  So I just Googled (there is it again) the lyrics to the whole song.  I'm not surprised that they are strangely brilliant coming from David Byrne, but they are eerily related to what I'm going through right now: waiting for information about my second possible donor. "Nothing there!---No information left of any kind. Lifting my head---Looking for danger signs".  

I just got off the phone with Amelia, the transplant nurse, and she told me that it's likely that I won't hear anything this week. Maybe on Friday, maybe Monday. But the fact that we've heard nothing yet is a good sign. No immediate red flags. It takes time because they have to correlate many blood tests and those results need to be signed off on by three doctors; one in the donor's country, one at the stem cell center in England and one at the hospital in London. 
"Facts are simple and facts are straight
Facts are lazy and facts are late
Facts all come with points of view
Facts don't do what I want them to
Facts just twist the truth around
Facts are living turned inside out
Facts are getting the best of them"


And speaking of Postmodern music, I had a good time last Friday with my friend Kelly at the Victoria and Albert Museum. They had an exhibit on POSTMODERNISM!! My first thought was, "Uh oh, how could there be a museum exhibit on everything I lived through in college? Yikes. I'm old!" And Kelly, of course, being much younger than I, was like, "Oh yeah! I remember this stuff from Junior High..."  Anyway... It felt so nostalgic and I felt lucky to have been around during a time when there was an artistic movement that took everything we knew and turned it on its head. David Bryne, Laurie Anderson, Grace Jones, Devo.  It was a tough transition for those of us coming off of Joni Mitchell and the huge High School Grateful Dead overdose. But, as strange as it was, Postmodernism was NO DOUBT a breath of fresh air.

So, I'm Still Waiting. And will be all week. As long as I know that, I'm OK. And I'll just keep doing what "normal" people do. Buy holiday gifts, plan meals, plan playdates, chase the kids down for kisses and when that doesn't work, kiss the dog. Look at art. Make earrings. Continue purging my closet (when does that ever get completed?). And make a pedicure appointment.  Hmm, what color?

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome!

    I strongly suggest painting each of your toes a different color to have rainbow feet. Or at least alternating colors. Maybe red and green for Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. brilliant! Of course! And glittery too is a must :-)

    ReplyDelete