Tuesday 13 December 2011

Another Song

It seems like everyday I've got some song stuck in my head about waiting. They just come to me and hang around for the day. Today's it's the Rolling Stones, "Waiting on a Friend".  When I looked up the words, I never realized it's a song about prostitution.  This line spoke to me today:
A smile relieves a heart that grieves
Remember what I said
I'm not waiting on a lady
I'm just waiting on a friend
I'm just waiting on a friend...



Even though I've felt like a cranky bitch on the inside, I've just gotten tons of smiles from people today. You know those days? When people smile on the street and folks seem super friendly? 

In fact, today I was friendly but crazy. I found myself chasing my friend Szcerinas,  tiny, fancy, pure-bred, temporarily rogue puppy dog, as she ran home by herself from Regents Park to Abbey Road. By herself! No leash and dodging traffic. She whizzed by and I started chasing her, screaming "Stop that dog!!!"  People tried, but she was a slippery one. And way too fast to catch! Then, some woman stops her car and says, "Get in!" and so I do! We sped after Bella together, in the car, as people on the street pointed us in the right direction. As we honed in on her, I hopped out of the car to take a side road. I think I said something like, "Thanks! You're great!". And she left. Only at that point did I realize I didn't know her. Isn't that crazy?! And nice?! Long story short, I found Bella outside her house. And now it is all very apparent to us that she knows her way home from Regents Park and knows how to deal with traffic. Cheeky doggy.

Have we all needed to depend on the kindness of strangers as some point?  I know I do. I am depending on the kindness of a donor.  We've asked strangers who have lives, who have maybe been touched by leukemia at some time in their lives enough to inspire joining the registry. And then one day, out of the blue, maybe many years later, they get a call from a nurse saying they're a to match with someone who really needs their help. Someone who really needs some kindness from them. It's a crazy kind of kindness. They match a complete stranger. Me. 

So, blessings to my donor who's trying to get healthy again. Healthy enough to donate and save a life. Mine. 

In the meantime, I am waiting. Which includes this damn round of chemo. It seems most likely it will start Thursday morning and last for five days. And most likely, when my blood counts plummet I'll get some crappy infection with a fever and take tons of antibiotics and antivirals and anti-antis. And then I'll have to recover and be inside the hospital for weeks. Bitch moan bitch moan. But I must do it because I CAN NOT relapse again. Not an option. 

I'm just waiting on a donor friend. I'm just waiting on a friend...


1 comment:

  1. That's really great Dina. Big hugs to you. Can I come and visit this weekend while the hubby mans the fort? Emily N

    ReplyDelete