Thursday 24 November 2011

Strange Magic

I thought I would feel something about the fact that this was the day I was first scheduled to have my transplant.  Today I was meant to feel crazy grateful and thankful. I loved the idea of having a transplant on Thanksgiving, but not having it on Thanksgiving is no big deal.  Not a loss in any way.  Sometimes life just floats along.

Oddly, cancer has made me just thankful for every day. It's now just usual.  In fact, I'm relieved that my thankfulness and appreciation for life, has toned down a bit.  I've gone through times when I could hardly get down the street because everything was so beautiful.  So now, it's not that those things have changed, but I can get down the street better.

The recent good news is that my donor is able to donate their magic cells on the days my transplant team has suggested. So granted they pass their medical exam on the 5th of December, I will then begin treatment again on December 12th.  I got this news yesterday. It has made me all nervous and excited, again.  As I always re-learn, it's better to not think.  So I won't.

We went to an American mass at St.Paul's Church today here in London.  We had to weave through all the Occupy tents that are huddled right on the church grounds.  It felt fascinating and weird. Part of me wanted to run off with them all, screaming, "Yes! There MUST be a better way!".  And part of me just wanted to go have thanksgiving dinner in a warm beautiful place with people I love. Which I did.  But, I DO hope there's a better way. A fairer way in this world for everyone to have a decent piece of the pie. Their signs were so peaceful. Except one (which I loved) which read "Compost Capitalism".  Something so funny about that one...

Speaking of funny (ahh, my favorite subject). Here's a good one.  So we're at a lovely Thanksgiving lunch at a fancy hotel. Our table was in the corner and behind us was a door with a window and a curtain on the other side of it. The kids couldn't see through it and were talking about what they thought might be behind the door.  They decided it was MAGIC TOY LAND.  So they're talking about Magic Toy Land and a waiter comes by and hears them and says, "Oh! Come with me. I'll take you!"  So they promptly follow him out of the restaurant, take a left into the lobby and disappear. And we're thinking, "Ok, the kids have just disappeared with someone we don't know who said he was taking them to Magic Toy Land".  You can imagine the Child Catcher jokes that ensued, etc... Then we thought, maybe they have a stash of toys at the hotel for the kids?  Isn't that nice...  Soon, saw the waiter return, but not the kids.  Hmmm.  They're taking a while...  They finally show up and say "He took us to the bathroom."   We were perplexed.  Then we realized. Language barrier! He took them to THE MAGIC TOILET!!! Hahaha. So funny! No?

A Happy Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I hope, if you like Thanksgiving, that today you felt loved and included.
And I send much love from our house to yours. Or should I say, from our Magic Toilet, to yours. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment