Wednesday 9 November 2011

Hmmmm. Glitch.

Well, everything I have ever learned about staying cool, keeping in the moment, thinking positive, or not thinking at all, has got to be applied right now. BIG TIME. My donor did not pass their physical exam and can not donate. They've been removed from the bone marrow registry. I found this out today at around noon.

When the transplant nurse, Kim, first told me, I really didn't feel a thing. My first reaction was that I felt bad for the donor. I hope they're OK. That certainly must be worrisome for them. I talked a bit more with the nurse, left the hospital, and sort of walked, stunned, out into the day. I sat on a bench outside a cafe and had some sweet potato, coriander, and coconut soup. (Doesn't that sound good? It was). I met a mom whose 23-year-old daughter was in the hospital getting treatment for cancer. I liked her. She was calm too.

There are cures for cancer. They are quite complicated. But some of them work. Like transplants. So, getting back to transplants, now that it's midnight, and I'm trying to apply everything I know about NOT thinking, I will simply document what is going on. Because that is what part of this blog will be; a picture of how all this pans out. And maybe a reader will be able to glean something important in between my blogging and my Blah Blah + Hogging.

So, there is another 10/10 match they found for me. They are CMV (Cytomegalovirus) positive, not CMV negative, like me, so it means some extra medicine for me so that I do not get this virus after transplant. So this is pretty close to perfect. This person has not been contacted at all. The donor organization will begin making contact tomorrow and I should hopefully know something by Monday, if not before. I hope it's something good, like, yes they'd like to donate. Yes, they're available soon and it's all wonderful. But this a person. People are very complicated.  And one human helping another in this case isn't simple or easy. There is so much that has to be right, that has to go right.  The medical exams don't happen until it's very close to the donation date, because if they do them too far in advance, who knows, someone could contract some kind of yucky disease between the time of their medical exam and their donation and pass it on to the recipient. The transplant nurses said they have not seen donors fail medical exams very often. They seemed quite sure this second one will work out.

So that's the story I'm going with. I'm quite sure the second one will work out too. I've got a bit of fudge time. My last bone marrow biopsy showed a complete remission. Number 2, I 'm waiting for you. Godspeed!
I remain faithfully yours, by not thinking. Dina.

1 comment:

  1. bring it on number 2 - and be quick because not thinking is a little like standing on your head - quite a challenge.

    praying for you sweetheart

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete