Wednesday 23 January 2013

Thoughts on Thoughts


There is so much emphasis on what we eat as being linked to disease.  I'm not disputing this truth, but it's also true that there's plenty of people who have smoked and drank their way into their 90's.  I often think of the Hunza people who live on apricots and almonds in northern Pakistan. Supposedly they have really long life spans. I wonder if I, if we all, should be living on apricots and almonds? Then I recently read that Hunza don't actually calculate age in years, but in wisdom. Now, that's a thought... How old would you be? I'm somewhere between a wise old lady and a new born. I can't decide... 

In my new effort to earnestly take care of myself, this last week I have learned that, for me, a scary thought (which have been annoyingly creeping back in...they must be dealt with!) is much more powerful than a green smoothie. I feel a bit perky after I've blended my organic kale, blueberries, soaked cashews and coconut milk.  But disastrous thinking? That shoots off yucky chemicals I can actually feel inside me.  

I've felt a bit tired the last few days,  and that will make my creative imagination start spinning out of control. All these "uh oh's" and "oh no's".  It's stressful! Waiting five years to be in the clear.  In five years I'll be at the same risk as your average Josephine for Leukemia.  It's a major mental challenge! And although I do plan to continue taking care of myself and unfolding what all that means,  for goodness sake, babies get cancer! And it's certainly not from what they eat or think or from not being taken care of!  We have friends in Chicago whose baby at 3 months went through chemotherapy! He's a friend of Isaac's and he's 12 now and awesome.  

There's no Cancer Answer. That's one thing this wise old lady feels sure of.  It's just a bummer and then maybe, hopefully you get lucky...All I know is what I know for me. The scary thoughts are no good and the smoothies are actually this weird gray color.  And most importantly cancer taught me to really soak up the moment. Everytime I come back to it, everything is fine.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sweet Dina,

    For the past two years I have tried to send you and your family Christmas cards and they were returned. Today I went online to find out where you were and discovered this blog and the incredible and courageous journey you have been on over the past few years. I just want to give you a big hug. You are are and always were an amazing woman. Please get in touch. Here my email. mtc129@aol.com

    Love,
    Mar - your old pal from Literacy Volunteers

    ReplyDelete