Thursday 7 February 2013

Old dusty blog

When Andy and I first met we rented a loft in the west village in NY. Our windows looked out over Christopher Street and there was a billboard across the way advertsing to come see Busty Dusty at the local strip club. It was such an on-running joke. You can only imagine. It was, at times, like Dusty was our debauched two-dimensional roomate. So now, I can't really ever hear or use the words Dusty or Busty without thinking of her. Hence, the memory popped up while I write in this dusty blog.

I still haven't heard anything from my donor. We're sending off a Valentine card that Ari made. I hope it passes the anonymity inspection.  It's very cute.  I'm going back to NY to see Dr. Giralt in early March. I'll have another bone marrow biopsy as well while I'm there. The big trick has been to stay cool in da head. Some days I am juuuuuust fine. I wake up and do a little jig because I'm so happy to be alive. And it's mostly like that. But then there is always that worry that seems to have managed to creep back in.

I remember when I worked in Soho in NY at a photographers studio. There was a fire in a building a few doors down. We basically watched the whole thing. People running out of the building. The fire trucks coming. All the firefighters, water, lights. Later, we spoke to someone we knew who worked there. He said the water from the firefighters did more damage than the fire. The whole building was an absolutle mess. Isn't that just like worry? You've got this pretty together structure of a human being and then this insidious emotion just seeps in to every nook and cranny. Pretty much uninvited. And causes this great mess.

Ari's taking this Mindfulness class. It's really great. The teacher has basically taught them about past present and future. So far she's used scents and tastes to bring them into the present moment. Or maybe to evoke memories. What ever it is.  But it seems they've gotten a real sense of time. This weeks homework has been for Ari the really taste the first bit of whatever he's eating. It really does help to bring you right up to the present moment. And he was talking to me about how he thought the past and the future really didn't exist.  That they are just things that we think about. I was impressed. He's so right. There's really not much goin' on besides this present moment. So, I'm going to taste my food and smell my soaps and flowers whenever I think of it so, I can keep myself in the proper place along the timeline. And how great is it that right now there's really nothing to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment