Friday 10 February 2012

Great Good News

Wow. It's a go! Donor #3 is the one for me! News came today that they've passed their medical exam and I am so excited and SO relieved! This has been quite a wait and quite a road and I am now blessed with a 10/10 match from somebody somewhere in this great big and teeny tiny world! We have 10 genetic markers that are exactly the same! Even my first cousins who were so kind to register for me aren't 10/10 matches for me. But somebody else from somewhere else is? I just don't get it! And I know I've had it explained to me, more than once even, but I can't wrap my mind around it. And once again Edie Brickell has begun playing "The Wheel" in my head sound track:

"Somewhere there's somebody who looks just like you do,
acts just like you do.. feels the same way..
Somewhere there's a person in a far away place,
with a different name and a face that looks like you...

Do ya think about who it might be?
Do ya wonder where they are?
In a distant foreign country,
Ridin' round in another car..."


I know of course this person doesn't look like me or think like me but boy, we sure have some crazy stuff in common. For example, HLA markers. Or, our bodies' immune response. And I'm sure, that once I meet this hero of mine (gosh I hope they'll want to meet), we'll discover that we have much more in common than HLA markers. I'm just sure of it.

So, all I can say, right now, late at night in London, is Thank You Thank You Thank You! What a nice person you are!!!!! Number 3, you are a charm!  

2 comments: