Friday 1 August 2014

An Invisible Sign

I'm so glad I did the 5K for Race For Life. They raise money for Cancer Research UK. I was alone amongst this packed crowd of women in hot pink. Leggings, wigs. T-shirts, tutus. Everything hot pink. I was meant to run with a friend but she hurt her ankle. And then, clutzy me, I trip and fall over a seemingly invisible free standing sign in Paris, and fractured my elbow. Whoops! I was walking with Ari next to the Paris Plage, which is a long sandy area they bring in during summer that stretches alongside the Seine for people to play in. It's so great.. There were giant beach chairs whole families could fit in, fabulous large acoustic bands with crowds around them and plenty of sunshine. Then, just as we were passing a 125 anniversary commemorative model of the Eiffel Tower  built out of 324 red lacquered bistros chairs, I guess I was so distracted, I went down. Landed straight on my left arm and felt a slight pop in my elbow. It was like my lower arm bashed into my upper arm! I remember seeing these two cute teeny kids on scooters as I was falling and I hope I didn't yell out anything profane. Ari said I didn't... I opened my eyes, and there were those two cute little kids, staring at me. I said, "Hi! You're so cute!" They were American and their parents quickly offered help. But oddly, I was fine.  I could totally move my arm! So we wandered on. Yet the next day my arm couldn't straighten very well and after a brush with a few handsome French doctors I was told it was fractured and I was given the chicest sling on the planet to wear for 3-6 weeks. It looks like a Baby Bjorn. I think I might look like I gave birth to my arm.

So, was I going to walk this 5K on my own with a fractured elbow? I thought about it all week long. And I left the decision to the very very last minute. I needed to be in Hyde Park Sunday morning at 11:00am. I called a cab at 10:00 and I was right on time. This was a race to help people suffering with cancer. How could I let an elbow stop me? That's just not a good reason. So when I got there my favorite part was writing on my back plaque whom I was running for.  I wrote: "I am running for my mom, my sister, my dad, my Uncle Gary. For my extremely supportive family and for Monique. My stem cell donor!"

Tonight I write before I leave for NY to be at the beach with friends. And in one week we leave for LA, city of angels, to meet my angel, Monique! I love this story. I love the way this story ends. It's a really really good one. I think it's a hopeful story. And it's a story about good people. Monique did not have to do any of this. She has NO idea who I am. But that didn't matter to her. This is a pure example of generosity. I can only repay her by having a good life. And I find the challenge absolutely exilorating.

No comments:

Post a Comment