Sunday 10 August 2014

Bridge


So excited. On my way. JetBlue to LA. I'm not sure what to do with myself. We're heading toward a giant convergence of love on this trip. The kids and I had the comforting start to our whirlwind vacation by going to Bridgehampton to stay with Andrea and her family for a week. We basked in her generosity and humor and had a great time. The Hamptons are always reassuring to me, I have such pleasant and abundant memories. At the end of each summer, while I was growing up, my parents would rent a buggy wooden house in Amagansett and we would luxuriate on the beach and buy sunflowers from the outdoor market. The sun was always so golden and the shadows were long. We would spend afternoons rolling around the roads taking in all the fascinating modern houses made from what looked like driftwood. I could still, easily, spend hours doing that. Except now, of course, a lot of those houses are replaced by much bigger, much fancier digs. But despite all the changes, traveling to Long Island will always comfort me. There's nothing like my high school  memories of being stuck in traffic onthe way to Jones Beach. Having in depth conversations with people in other cars, dead stopped on the Long Island Expressway traffic.

The plan in LA is to meet up with Kaethe, Allison, Susanne and Jenny. As well as Aunt Dee, and my cousins Adam and David and their families. We're going to have a lovely beach party on Sunday for Monique and her family. I just have a feeling she's going to be the coolest person I've ever met.  I mean cool in terms of clear in her thoughts and beliefs. Clear in what she knows is important.  It's not that this is so uncommon, but it can certainly be rare when you're in your early 30's. Which she is. I have so much respect for her.  Somebody taught her at a young age to approach life with a lot of love. And I love that! Maybe there's a gene for it and it'll rub off on me!


No comments:

Post a Comment